Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Run like the Wind! Run Forrest Run :-)

Well, first off, it's amazing how having 2 kids (with one being an infant) puts a big dent into your aspirations of being a rock-star blogger :-) With everything else that's going on, I guess I had to choose between allocating time to running versus just blogging about it :-)

Anyhoo, I am happy to report that I have been keeping up as best I can with the Big Sur training schedule (laid out by uber-mentor and motivator Chakri). Given that I live right next to Rancho San Antonio Park (and the double-bonus of it having a lot of hilly terrain), I have been running pretty much exclusively there for the past couple of months (weekdays, long runs etc.). Thanks to Coaches Martina and Raman, I now have an intimate knowledge of Black Mountain, Upper Wildcat, and several other trails at Rancho (including a totally undiscovered one which was the result of Coach Martina wanting to help us get a few more miles in while waiting for some runners to catch up).

So, given that Big Sur marathon is run on asphalt, I figured I needed to get some runs in on that turf. I decided to sign up (last minute) for the 'Run like the Wind' half marathon in San Ramon (which was on roads and also had rolling hills - perfect Big Sur training).

I woke up bright and early on March 30th (Sunday) - hey I got to sleep in on Saturday didn't I :-) - and drove the 40 or so miles to get to San Ramon (I know I know - driving 40 miles to run 13.1 - must be insane (I'm sure we runners get this all the time!)). It was pretty chilly so decided to stay in the car for a bit. Soon it was time for the start - I was actually pleasantly surprised by the turnout - for a small city event, there sure were a lof of people!

There were 2 other runners (Satyan and Venkaiah) from the ASHA gang and I met up with them at the start. I did not really have any goals for the race except to get a good run in.

We were off and running and much as I had planned to take it easy and not run too hard (and get injured), I guess being in a race gets the adrenaline going. I started off at a 9 min pace and kept that up for the most part (with 8:20 or so being the fastest). The hill training at Rancho really kicked in and I did not slow down too much on the rolling hills (slowest was a 9:40 mile).
I was glad I was carrying a fuel belt though - the race, though well organized with water stops, did not have any Gatorade :-)

I reached the last few miles and was close to or under my PR pace - again, pre-race plans to take it easy somehow flew out the window! I began pushing it (especially the last mile) and finished in 1:55:43 - a new PR :-)

Stayed on at the end to watch some of the award presentations and was amazed by some of the times (1:30 or under in the 60 year age group :-) - I would be happy just to be running when I am 60)).

All in all, a good experience (barring a sore ITB on the left side - nothing some RICE won't fix :-)).

No comments: